The #FabFam is always on the go, but this summer we decided to stay closer to home and explore more of what our home state, Texas, has to offer. We called it the “summer of Texas fun!” We decided to spend one of our summer weekends in San Antonio, which is a convenient getaway from Austin at only an hour and a half drive. Our home-base for the weekend was the fabulous St. Anthony Hotel, which was the perfect choice for a weekend of family fun in San Antonio. Keep reading to see why, and get my recommendations for the best places to eat and things to do with kids in San Antonio, Texas. You’ll want to save and pin this post when you are planning your itinerary for a family-friendly weekend in San Antonio!
Why you should stay at The St. Anthony Hotel:
- Family-friendly luxury. The St. Anthony is the perfect combination of a lovely, luxurious hotel that is welcoming and fun for families with kids.
- Location. An easy walk from the River Walk, Alamo, museums, shops, and many other San Antonio sites and restaurants, The St. Anthony is ideally located in the heart of San Antonio.
- Accommodations. The rooms are well-appointed and comfortable with view of the city or the adjacent Travis Park. The rest of the property is absolutely beautifully styled and full of light, which is always appreciated for those of us who like to photograph our vacations!
- Amenities. If you asked my kids, the best part of The St. Anthony Hotel is the heated rooftop infinity pool (with a poolside bar and cabana seating). There is also a great fitness center on site.
- Food. While there are several great restaurants in the vicinity, you don’t have to leave The St. Anthony for some of the best food in town. See more in my list of where to eat for a weekend in San Antonio below, but on-site dining and drink options like Rebelle, Gallery on the Park, and Haunt are top-notch.
- History. Possibly my favorite thing about The St. Anthony is how so much of its rich history has been preserved throughout the chic updates to the property in recent years. The St. Anthony was the first luxury hotel in San Antonio when built by prominent cattlemen in 1909. Over the years its halls have entertained princesses, presidents, and movie stars.
Here’s a little glimpse of The St. Anthony from our experience there!
Hopefully you’ve seen why The St. Anthony is the ideal place to stay for a fabulous family weekend in San Antonio. Here are more recommendations for you to plan your itinerary for a trip to San Antonio with your children.
Where to Eat for a Family Vacation in San Antonio
Dinner, Night Two: Rebelle. It is recommended that you make a reservation in advance if you want to try Rebelle at The St. Anthony. One visit and you’ll see why. Not only was our service fantastic (even with our two tired kids in tow, but we came to expect that at family-friendly St. Anthony), but the food was also incredible. Rebelle offers sharing-style and personal plate experiences of overnight-shipped coastal seafood and farm-fresh produce. Everything we tried had us just drooling to try the next. Whether you stay at The St. Anthony or not, Rebelle needs to be on your list of top restaurants to try in San Antonio.
What to do with Kids in San Antonio
Stripes did not take a dip, but did enjoy lounging in the sun.
Theme parks. San Antonio has several amusement parks that the whole family will enjoy, including (but not limited to) Six Flags Fiesta Texas, SeaWorld, and Splashtown.
History. How can you mention a visit to San Antonio without referencing its 300-year history? You can visit the Alamo for free, or explore several museums and UNESCO heritage sites during a weekend in San Antonio.
San Antonio was the perfect, close getaway for our Austin-based family, and The St. Anthony Hotel was the perfect place for a family like ours to stay. I hope we’ve inspired your own Texas family fun weekend!
Oh wow it looks awesome! Your kids look happy being there as well 🙂