This post has been sponsored by Church & Dwight Co., Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This year, our family has been making new eco-friendly swaps each month. Most recently, we’ve been swapping to more natural baking soda toothpaste—like ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials Whiten & Strengthen Toothpaste. (Visit Dollar General’s coupon gallery and Save $1 on any ONE (1) ARM & HAMMER™ toothpaste, 4.3 oz. (offer valid: 8/2 – 9/26). We’ve been trying to live more sustainably for a while now, and these latest swaps are helping us to not only do right by the environment but also by our bodies. The best thing we’ve discovered is that changes to products like this don’t necessarily have to cost more. (Dollar General has great deals on lots of other great products like this one!)
Today, I’m sharing 10 easy changes that real people can make to make their bathroom greener… and without spending a fortune to do it! Some of these tips will actually save you money in the long run. Then, if you’re ready to take it to the next level, I’ve got a few bonus tips for a more sustainable bathroom.
How to green your bathroom for a more sustainable home
The bathroom is one of the easiest parts of your home to make more sustainable. With a few habit changes and product swaps, even the average person can lower their footprint in no time. Making the switch to more natural products is one easy way to start, and it’s something our family has been consciously doing this year. See all the tips for a more sustainable bathroom below, but here is more about our favorite new product swap.
Why we love the ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials Whiten & Strengthen Toothpaste
This toothpaste isn’t just made with the right ingredients, it also works incredibly well. In fact, with regular use, your teeth will become up to two shades whiter with two times stronger enamel*! That’s because #ArmandHammer products are full of what you need and free of what you don’t, just like their tagline says. Here are some of the reasons ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials is so awesome:
- A healthy and clean mouth starts with A&H toothpaste—guaranteed. #ArmandHammerEssentials toothpaste deep cleans, neutralizes acid, and helps repair the enamel surface.
- It’s made with more of the essential ingredients you need for a healthy, beautiful smile—like the following:
- 100% natural baking soda to naturally whiten teeth
- Naturally-sourced calcium to help protect and repair enamel
- Essential oils—sourced from natural North American peppermint—to freshen breath
- It’s been proven to smooth surface imperfections and restore gloss and luster to your smile.
- It’s free of the following ingredients, so you can get outstanding whitening and enamel strengthening without compromises:
- Artificial sweeteners and dyes
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Preservatives, parabens, and peroxide
*data on file
Remember to check out the coupon deals at Dollar General on ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials online, in-store, or on the Dollar General app, and #MorePowerToYou!
Change out your light bulbs to LED or CFL bulbs. These bulbs save energy and money, as they don’t need to be replaced as often as traditional light bulbs.
Adjust your water-use habits to be more water-wise. Turn the faucets off while brushing your teeth and opt for showers instead of baths (as showers use less water).
Use bar soap instead of body wash that comes in single-use plastic containers.
Use refillable liquid soap dispensers if you prefer liquid hand soap, since buying in bulk and refilling will limit plastic use.
Make the choice to purchase more natural bath and body products. Natural and organic products that are free from harsh chemicals, sulfates, and dyes are better for your body as well as the environment.
Choose makeup and skincare products in glass or refillable containers when possible (instead of ones that come in disposable plastic).
Further cut down your disposable use by using reusable fabric makeup removal pads and wash cloths instead of disposable wipes, makeup remover pads, or cotton balls. This one-time investment will save you money in the long term.
Go back to regular dental floss. The old-school packs produce far less waste than plastic single-use flossers.
Use green cleaning products to cut down on the chemicals in your bathroom that go back into the environment. There are more and more options available these days that will get the job done without the environmental impact.
Remember to recycle. It’s easy to remember to recycle in the kitchen—but don’t forget to recycle items from the bathroom, too. For example: empty toilet paper rolls, old plastic bottles when you’re done with them (and when making the switch to plastic-free options), empty tissue boxes, and the cardboard boxes your toothpaste and other products come in.
- If you’ve got the budget and the ability, replace your faucets and shower heads with water-efficient options. If you need to replace your toilet, there are more water-efficient toilets available these days, too!
- Switch to bamboo and/or organic cotton linens—but don’t just dispose of old ones! Reuse them as rags for as long as you can to limit waste.
- The next time your toothbrush needs replacing, switch to a bamboo toothbrush instead of a plastic one.
- Instead of shampoo and conditioner in plastic bottles, consider solid shampoo and conditioner bars. Using them might take some getting used to, but they work great and reduce a lot of plastic waste over time. Just remember to recycle the old bottles before you make the switch!
- Before you renovate, consider if a new coat of paint for the walls and cabinets, resurfacing existing countertops, or adding frames to existing mirrors can give you the new look you desire. Why dispose of solid counters and cabinets, functioning mirrors, and walls if easy cosmetic changes can do the trick? Plus, it will save you a lot of money to refurbish and refresh as opposed to renovating and replacing.
Visit Dollar General’s coupon gallery and Save $1 on any ONE (1) ARM & HAMMER™ toothpaste, 4.3 oz. (offer valid: 8/2 – 9/26).
Shop now at Dollar General and see how many of these eco swaps you can make for your bathroom while still maintaining your budget! #dollargeneral #dollargeneralfinds
Leave a Reply