This post is sponsored by CanvasDiscount.com. The opinions are my own.
Are you looking for going away to college gift ideas? I’m sharing how to make a college going away basket with some sweet and sentimental gifts made with photos that remind your grad of home… and bonus – they are really easy to create! Photos capture unique moments and powerful emotions. They shouldn’t be left collecting dust in the attic or buried among the other files on your memory card. Your most precious photos deserve special treatment – like being printed on premium wall art or a high-quality personalized blanket. CanvasDiscount.com has a huge number of products that you can personalize with your special photos. Plus, use code FABEVERYDAY10 for an extra 10% off on top of the already discounted product options – which could save you up to 90% total! Browse their website to see all the great options, or keep reading to see which items I recommend for a going away to college gift basket, along with inspirational going away to college quotes, cute going away to college gifts, and other ideas for putting together a gift that will remind your loved one that wherever they go in life, they can keep their memories of home with them forever.
Write a card with inspirational going away to college quotes
Start your going away to college gift with a note that includes some words of wisdom for this next phase of their life journey. Here are some of my favorite going away to college quotes:
- “Hitch your wagon to a star.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.” – Chinese proverb
- “Learn as much as you can while you are young, since life becomes too busy later.” – Dana Stewart Scott
- “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” – C.S Lewis
- “All of your dreams can come true – if you have the courage to pursue them” – Walt Disney
- “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you’ll land among the stars.” – Les Brown
- “Kid, you’ll move mountains!” – Dr. Seuss
- “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!” – Dr. Seuss
- “You’ll be on your way up! You’ll be seeing great sights! You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.” – Dr. Seuss
- If your kid loves puns like mine does: “What did the buffalo say to his son when he left for college? Bison.”
If you are inspired by the Dr. Seuss quotes, check out more in this Oh, the Places You’ll Go! Graduation Party.
Gifts that are warm reminders of home sweet home
Make a custom photo blanket of the house your grad grew up in. When they are feeling homesick they can wrap themselves up in this warm reminder that they will always have a home. Home may be where the heart is, but it has never been as soft as it will be with this 60″X40″ Premium Plush Blanket! It’s beautifully decorative AND genuinely practical.
If your kids are anything like mine, they will certainly miss their beloved pets when they go off to college. Give them something to cuddle with by making a custom pillow with a picture of their furry (or feathery, or scaly) friend. We got 16″x16″ Premium Plush Pillows, but they are also available in other sizes (12″x12″ or 24″x24″) or in a Satin Pillow option.
Give them some wall art that reminds them of home with a set of these dorm room-friendly 8″x8″ MIXPIX® photo tiles. These lightweight photo tiles are fitted with reusable adhesive pads and are suitable for almost any wall. Stick them to the wall, then remove and re-stick them when you want to try a new pattern! You can make them with any photos you want, including some of your grads’ favorite Instagram photos with their family or friends. We opted for some reminders of Round Rock, TX and the Austin, TX area in general with some iconic photos of the city we call home.
Gift them in a going away to college gift basket
Don’t forget to think about how you will display these going away to college gifts. I suggest putting together a college going away basket using a decorative basket that can also double as storage for them in their new dorm room or apartment. Incorporate their college colors if you can with ribbons and tissue paper. You can also add some other practical fillers to your going away to college gift basket, such as:
- Extra charging cords
- Hand sanitizer
- Flip flops for the dorm showers
- Roll of Forever postage stamps
- Sleep mask
- Fuzzy socks
- Some of their favorite snacks
Remember to check out these ideas and so much more at CanvasDiscount.com. Their products are heavily discounted – and you can get them at even MORE of a discount by using my special code: FABEVERYDAY10!