Who else has eating healthy as one of their New Year’s resolutions? I’ve got just the recipe for you today: a guilt-free, delicious and hearty quinoa and rice bowl! This vegetarian bowl version of the beloved Vietnamese banh mi sandwich gets its protein from quinoa and has a kick from a spicy vegetarian mayo sauce. It’s a super yummy super food lunch.
I developed this recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars Tastemakers program. Rate, review, and photograph my recipe for Vegetarian Banh Mi Bowls on Allrecipes here, and see the full recipe along with some of my cooking tips below.
You know I love my shortcuts, so to make this meal a bit easier I used 1 packet of boil-in-bag quinoa (1/4 of a box) and 2 packets of boil-in-bag brown rice (1/2 of a box).
I can’t think of banh mi without thinking of the delicious pickled veggies in the sandwich. It’s not as difficult as you may think to make them yourself. While the rice and quinoa cook, you get your vegetables pickling.
I used a mandolin slicer to make really thin slices of cucumber, carrots, and radishes.
You boil together a mixture of vinegar, water, sugar, sesame oil, and salt, then you let the veggies sit in a bowl with the pickling liquid for 20 minutes.
While that’s sitting, you can prep your spicy Sriracha mayo sauce. Use egg-free mayo to keep this meal vegetarian.
When everything’s done, it’s time to put it all together in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. For presentation purposes, I like to group the ingredients separately on top of the rice and quinoa, then drizzle with the Sriracha sauce.
Yum yum yum! Healthy and satisfying! Here’s the recipe!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 of a 14 oz. package boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 of a 12 oz. package boil-in-bag quinoa
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced, or more to taste
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced or more to taste
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Pour 3 quarts water into a saucepan and add boil-in-bag rice packets. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove bag using a fork and drain. Pour cooked rice into a bowl.
- Pour 1 quart water into a saucepan and add boil-in-bag quinoa packet. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes. Remove bag using a fork and drain. Pour cooked quinoa into a bowl.
- Place cucumber, carrots, and radishes into a bowl. Combine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, sugar, sesame oil, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over the vegetables in the bowl. Let stand 20 minutes, then drain.
- While vegetables are pickling, combine mayonnaise and sriracha sauce in a small bowl. Stir until well combined and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add 1 cup cooked rice and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa to each of 4 bowls. Divide sriracha mayonnaise evenly between the bowls, drizzling over the rice and quinoa. Layer pickled vegetables on top and add 2 tablespoons each of the chopped peanuts and cilantro.
I developed this recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars Tastemakers program. Rate, review, and photograph my recipe for Vegetarian Banh Mi Bowls on Allrecipes here. I used 1 packet of boil-in-bag quinoa (1/4 of a box) and 2 packets of boil-in-bag brown rice (1/2 of a box).
Leave a Reply