As you all know through my #DinnerTonight posts on social media and my recipe round-up blog posts, I love to curate and share the best tried-and-true recipes that I find with my readers and followers. However, this past year I have been experimenting more with original recipe development (like my Mexican Hash recipe, and others that I have shared recently). And while a lot of the recipes I have been developing have been family-focused, I don’t want to leave the adults out of the fun. With the heat rising here in Central Texas as we approach summer, kids aren’t the only ones who crave sweet, frozen treats! Since coffee is life (and since Fab Everyday readers are busy people that may not be able to function without it), lately I have been trying to think of ways to play with coffee differently. I was recently inspired by this Iced Coffee Popsicle recipe from The Black Peppercorn, and thought, how can I make something fun and summery with coffee that would also provide that much-needed caffeine kick? There are a lot of mocha coffee popsicle recipes out there, but I wanted to think of something different. My love for the flavor of rich espresso coffee and salted caramel converged for the idea of making a caramel coffee popsicles recipe. I’m sharing the recipe for these homemade coffee popsicles with you today!
For my coffee popsicle recipe, I used espresso from Gourmesso, as I wanted that rich, espresso-like flavor for the popsicles. The method for making them is actually pretty easy, as you will see in the recipe below. In addition to the ease, another thing I love about this coffee popsicles recipe is that it can be modified to include some coarse salt (for a salted caramel coffee popsicle), some chocolate in place of the caramel (for mocha espresso popsicles), or a combination of caramel and chocolate. You can also add in some coffee beans for that extra caffeine boost, or some dark chocolate shavings or nibs for some added cocoa indulgence.
Tips for this coffee popsicle recipe
It is important to note that these homemade coffee popsicles need to be served immediately or kept frozen somehow after pulling them out of the mold, as they will melt quickly after drizzling the caramel. If you are making these for an event, I’d do the final touches only when ready to serve. If making for yourself, pull out one at a time and keep the rest in the freezer. You can either eat them as they are, or you can dip them in an iced coffee drink. So much fun can be had with these adult, frosty treats!
Here’s the Caramel Coffee Popsicle recipe. Don’t forget to share and pin!
Caramel Coffee Popsicles
Popsicles aren't just for kids! These adult coffee popsicles have a kick of caffeine and a delicious hint of caramel.
- 2 ½ cups brewed coffee (ideally a rich, espresso coffee)
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup caramel sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tbsps. Sugar
- Optional: coarse salt, chocolate syrup
- Brew coffee and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, caramel sauce, and sugar over medium heat. Stir until caramel and sugar have dissolved and are fully incorporated into the milk.
- Stir coffee into the milk mixture, and allow to cool completely.
- Pour coffee mixture into popsicle molds. The amount of liquid will yield approximately 10 standard-sized popsicles.
- Freeze the popsicles for 4-6 hours, or overnight.
- After removing from popsicle molds, drizzle with a generous amount of caramel sauce, and optionally add some coarse salt and/or chocolate syrup. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply