Save or pin this post for when you plan your trip to the Loire, as I’ve got all your essential trip recommendations below, including where to stay, where to eat, and what to do in this region of France. For more from our anniversary trip to France, see our scenic chateaux drive route from Paris to the Loire Valley here, a travel style post on what to wear for a vacation in Paris here, and stay tuned for another post with our recommendations Paris.
How to Get to the Loire Valley from Paris
Where to Stay in France’s Loire Valley
Château de Perreux (36 Rue de Pocé, 37530 Nazelles-Négron, France). If you are visiting the chateau country, you must stay in a chateau! The 300-year-old Château de Perreux is a genuine castle-turned-boutique hotel in Nazelles-Négron, not far from Amboise, in the Loire Valley. It was the perfect choice for us to get an authentic experience with modern amenities at a great price. The grounds were beautiful and romantic (as you can see in my photos below), the service was friendly, and the food was delicious. We could have hung around the castle and grounds all day and been completely happy during our time in the Loire.
Where to Eat in the Loire Valley
Restaurants in Amboise:
Brasserie Hippeau. Their Menu du Jour options were amazing.
Chateau de Perreux. You can make reservations for dinners at Chateau de Perrreux, where you are served outside during the lovely, temperate summer.
Chaussard Laurent (or Alimentation Cafe / Bar L’Entre Deux). This small shop and bar is within walking distance of Chateau de Perreux, and was a great place to hang out, or purchase a bottle to go. We loved drinking vouvray, the local sparking wine varietal.
Things to Do in the Loire Valley
Visit or drive by chateaux. You’d be missing out if you traveled to the Loire Valley and didn’t explore it’s historic chateaux. Check out my itinerary and Loire Valley chateaux driving route.
Château du Clos Lucé. If you are anywhere near Amboise on your travels to the Loire Valley, a visit to Clos Lucé, famous for being the residence of Leonardo da Vinci until his death, is a must.
Amboise. The town of Amboise has a lot to offer, and is enjoyable to walk around shop, eat, and explore.
Caves. I had no idea before our visit how many caves and caverns there are to explore in this region.
Wineries. The region is home to many vineyards to visit and sample.
- Everything you need to plan a romantic vacation in Paris that will stay with you for a lifetime
- Travel Style: What to Wear for a Vacation in Paris, France
- Scenic Loire Valley Chateaux Driving Route from Paris to Amboise
More Like This:
- The Ultimate UK Road Trip Itinerary – Driving Tour of England, Scotland, and Wales with the Family
- Fab Everyday Travel – Road Trips
- What to do during a long layover in Iceland: Blue Lagoon + DIY Golden Circle driving tour
- Road Trip Through Ireland
- Driving the Ring of Kerry
- What To Do on A Long Layover in Amsterdam
- Two days in Stockholm, Sweden in winter (with the kids!)
- Visiting Sweden’s Icehotel and Touring Swedish Lapland with Kids
- One Day in Finland – What to Do with Kids during a Quick Trip to Helsinki