With all that’s going on with social distancing and home isolation, I thought it might be helpful to share a list of pantry staples – essential ingredients to have on hand in your pantry, fridge, and spice cabinet for cooking and making recipes. In case it helps with your shopping and meal planning, here are the items I recommend having on hand for home cooking. These are just your simple staples (the list doesn’t include things like bread, rice and pastas, meats, or cheeses needed for specific recipes).
I also happen to have lists of pantry and spice staples like these in my new cookbook, Pressure Cooker Cookbook for Beginners (available for purchase in both digital and paperback format from Amazon here).
Simple Staples: Pantry and fridge essentials
- Heavy cream
- Plain yogurt
- Real butter
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Flour, sugar, and brown sugar
- Chicken stock (boxed/canned or fresh – see my method for freezing and storing homemade chicken stock here)
- Vegetable oil, olive oil, and sesame oil
- Soy sauce or tamari
Simple Staples: Essential herbs and spices for cooking
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Basil, oregano, parsley flakes, thyme, and rosemary
- Bay leaves
- Chili powder
- Cajun seasoning
What would you add to this list?