Tissue paper is a super cost-effective solution for DIY party decorations. You can use tissue paper in so many ways (some of these tissue paper craft ideas are shockingly easy), and you can change up the colors to match any holiday or party color scheme. Using it for party decorations is also a great way to reuse and upcycle leftover tissue paper from gift wrap! I’m sharing 10 easy DIY tissue paper party decorations, including DIY Tissue Paper Flowers, Tissue Paper Flower Napkin Rings, DIY Flower Pomander Balls, DIY Paper Flower Wreath, DIY Tissue Paper Tassel Garland, DIY Tissue Paper Fringe Garland, DIY Fringe Backdrop, DIY Tissue Paper Number, DIY Paper Fan Decorations, and DIY Tissue Paper Confetti. Pin these ideas to your party planning boards so you can pull them out when you need a quick, cheap, and easy party decoration.
DIY Tissue Paper Flowers
DIY tissue paper flowers are a lovely way to bring more color and festivity to parties. They are great for party backdrops and for table decoration. Wait till you see how easy it is to make these tissue paper pom pom flowers!
You can make DIY tissue paper flowers in any size or color, or in a combination of colors like the roses in the Cinco de Mayo party backdrop above.
What you need to make this tissue paper craft:
- Tissue paper
- Start with 8 sheets of tissue paper, then fold them like a fan.
- Cut the ends in a scallop shape with scissors.
- Tie the center with a ribbon, and carefully separate each sheet.
- Hang from the ribbon, attach to a wall, party backdrop, or table.
Tissue Paper Flower Napkin Rings
I am all about easy DIY décor ideas, especially budget-friendly table setting ideas that bring more fabulousness to a holiday table. I’m always looking for quick and easy but high-impact DIY projects… they are my absolute favorite finds! I made these easy DIY Thanksgiving napkin rings for my Thanksgiving table, and love the way they turned out. Using the same method as the larger DIY tissue paper flowers above, the look of the smaller napkin ring flowers can be customized by color, by cutting the tips more round (for a fluffier mum-style look) or more pointy (for a dahlia-like look). You can also make the flowers fuller by increasing the number of sheets of tissue paper you use. Get the instructions on Fab Everyday here: Easy DIY Napkin Ring Ideas.
DIY Flower Pomander Balls
Pomander balls are often seen in weddings as décor pieces (hanging from the edges of the aisle or from centerpieces), or as an accessory carried by the flower girl. They can be made out of real or silk flowers, but I love using tissue paper flowers (which also last much longer than pomanders made from real flowers). You can use the same DIY tissue paper flower method used for the larger pom poms and the smaller napkin rings above, then attach them to a craft foam ball with a ribbon loop. See a tutorial for how to make these DIY flower pomander balls by Create With Pennies Not Perfection on YouTube here.
DIY Paper Flower Wreath
Save money on a high-end pom pom or floral wreath by making your own with tissue paper! Again, using the same method for the DIY tissue paper flowers, you can make a DIY paper flower wreath. This tissue paper craft looks great above a holiday mantel, or in other seasonal colors for other times of year. Get the instructions for how to make a tissue paper flower wreath on Fab Everyday here: DIY Paper Flower Wreath.
DIY Tissue Paper Tassel Garland
You know those pretty tassel garlands people use for party tables and backdrops? Did you know it’s really easy to make them yourself out of tissue paper? The color combos and possibilities are endless with this budget-friendly party DIY. Here’s how to make tissue paper tassels.
What you need to make a DIY tissue paper tassel garland:
- Tissue paper
- Measuring tape
- Twist-tie or scotch tape
- Ribbon, twine, or yarn
- Cut sheets of tissue paper in half, then fold (you can do a few sheets at a time to save time).
- Measure and draw 1/2″-1″ lines, then cut them with scissors, leaving about an inch at the folded part at the top.
- Unfold the tissue paper and separate each sheet.
- Roll the sheet from the center until rolled completely. Carefully comb out any tangled fringe.
- Twist the center until you have a loop, and secure with a twist-tie or scotch tape.
- String them on ribbon, twine, or yarn.
DIY Tissue Paper Fringe Garland
This DIY tissue paper fringe garland is another cheap, easy, but fabulous DIY party decoration. You can make this in any color combination and use them on the front of food tables, hanging on backdrops, with balloons, or anywhere you want to add a little more color to your party.
How to make a tissue paper garland:
What you need:
- Tissue paper (in one color or a combination of colors)
Get the instructions on South Lumina Style here.
If you have less time but like the overall look, check out a similar garland (a ruffled tissue paper garland) on Lemon Thistle here.
DIY Fringe Backdrop
This DIY tissue paper backdrop is unbelievably simple, yet has such a big impact on your party décor. To make this DIY fringe backdrop, you just need tissue paper and scissors. Layer the fringe strips on a wall in festive color combinations depending on the holiday or party theme (it looked awesome in fiesta-inspired colors for this Cinco de Mayo party backdrop).
How to make a fringe backdrop:
- Layer two to three pieces of tissue paper (depending on how wide you want your backdrop to be) together, then fold them in half from top to bottom.
- Fold them left to right a couple of times (in a large accordion). This is so you don’t have to make as many cuts!
- Using scissors, make long, 1/2″ wide fringe cuts from the bottom, stopping about 2 inches from the folded part at the top.
- Separate the layers and pin or tape them next to each other in a row on the wall, folded edge up.
- Repeat with other colors and layer them over each other, overlapping at the folded top part so the fringe covers the pins or tape.
You can also trim the edges at an angle and attach them to a foam board shape like the example in this YouTube video by Oh Joy.
DIY Tissue Paper Number
This cheap and easy DIY Tissue Paper Number is one of my cheapest and easiest party DIYs EVER. It’s perfect for a birthday party or photoshoot, or a milestone anniversary celebration. Here’s how to make it.
What you need to make this crumpled tissue paper number:
- Wooden number or cardboard cut into the shape of a number
- Glue gun with glue sticks
- Tissue paper
- Get a wooden number from a craft store or cut your own number shape out of cardboard.
- Working one section at a time, add hot glue to a part of the number then stick a piece of crumpled tissue paper onto the glue.
- Repeat until the entire number is covered.
DIY Paper Fan Decorations
I love the simple but high-impact look of these DIY paper rosettes. You can make them in solid colors, or a combination of solid and patterned paper. DIY paper fan decorations look great clustered together on backdrops, like in this champagne-themed bachelorette party and this easy 4th of July party backdrop.
How to make paper rosettes (DIY paper fan decorations):
Get the instructions in this tutorial by The Crafty Mom on YouTube.
DIY Tissue Paper Confetti
The simplest way to use tissue paper for budget party decorations is to make DIY tissue paper confetti! The color combinations are endless, and you don’t need a lot of paper for this tissue paper craft.
How to make tissue paper confetti circles:
All you need to do to make DIY tissue paper confetti is tissue paper (in your choice of colors) and a circle punch and/or hole punch. Then punch, punch, punch! It’s really that simple!
Want more party inspiration?
Get more easy party décor ideas from Fab Everyday here.