We have learned to bring both regular and recyclable trash bags when we go camping (you’d be surprised how much of your camping debris is recyclable). When the quantity in the box gets low, you can save space in the camping box by securing the remaining bags with a rubber band instead of keeping them in their cardboard box.
We keep a standard set of spices/seasonings in the camping box in these spice bottles from The Container Store. We then keep them together with a zippered mesh bag so they don’t bang around in the box.
Zippered mesh bags are also a great way to organize other small things you want to keep together in the box. We use them for our different insect repellants, as well as our small flashlights. I hated digging around looking for flashlights in the past.
We got a small plastic storage box from Ikea to keep our misc. small tools and utensils organized within the larger camping box. We keep a dedicated pair of scissors, sets of utensils and measuring cups/spoons in the box, and organize them with rubber bands or carabiners. Other small items include bag clips, a can opener (we’d be screwed if we ever forgot our can opener when going camping), coffee scoops, etc.
We keep other random small items together in a plastic pencil case.
Ta da! The finished product, ready to store in the garage until we are ready to load it into the car for the next camping trip.
OTHER CAMPING RESOURCES
See more camping resources from Fab Everyday in these articles:
- The Only Camping Packing List You’ll Ever Need
- S’mores Variations – Unique Takes on the Traditional Camping Recipe
- Outdoor Cooking Recipe: Camping Pasta with Clam Sauce
- Cool Camper – Camping Fashion Inspiration
- Fab Everyday Campground Reviews
- Camping in Tombstone, AZ
- Family Camping Trip in Big Bend Ranch State Park, Texas
- Camping in Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend in Page, AZ
- One Day Family Camping Trip in Zion National Park
- Family Camping Trip to Arches National Park
- Camping in Marble Falls, TX – Shaffer Bend Recreation Area
- DIY Kid’s Camping and Outdoor Safety Necklace Craft
- Kid’s camping craft idea: Leaf Rubbing Tree (easy toilet paper roll craft)
- Outdoor Children’s Activity: Go on a Nature Hunt!