I love experimenting with my air fryer, and have been developing several new air fryer recipes over the last few weeks. Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks, and check out some other air fryer recipes, and this other article of mine on air frying vs. deep frying. The recipe I am sharing today is for air fryer sweet potato tater tots. Did you know that you could air fry sweet potato tots? These are a lighter alternative to regular tater tots, but are still delicious! Mine also have a little bit of a kick due to adding Cajun seasoning. I developed this air fryer sweet potato puffs recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars Tastemakers program. Rate, review, and photograph my recipe for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tots on Allrecipes here, and see the full sweet potato tots air fryer recipe along with some of my cooking tips below.
Tips for making this sweet potato tots air fryer recipe
One of the most important tips I can share for this sweet potato tots air fryer recipe is to not overboil the potatoes. They should be just parboiled, and removed from the pot when you can pierce them with a fork, but are still firm. This will make them easier to grate (after they are cooled) and form into tots. Otherwise, you may end up with something closer resembling mashed potatoes and it will be messier to shape them.
For shaping the air fryer sweet potato tots, I just did it by hand and did my best to make them into (mostly) evenly-sized little tot-shaped cylinders.
The great thing about air frying is that you still get crispness, but without deep frying in oil. Still, many air fryer recipes will still need some sort of oil lightly brushed or sprayed on. For this sweet potato tots air fryer recipe (and a few others), I find the easiest and lightest solution to be spraying the food with olive oil cooking spray.
Keep in mind that air fryers vary, so after flipping, you may wish to check your air fryer sweet potato puffs every minute or two to make sure you stop while they are crisp but not burnt.
What to serve with air fryer sweet potato tots
Serve the air fryer sweet potato tots with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. Ranch is also a delicious choice for dipping.
Here’s the air fryer sweet potato tots recipe. Enjoy, and if you try it, let me know how it turned out and share any additional tips for other cooks in the comments below!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Sea salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add sweet potatoes. Boil until potatoes can be pierced with a fork but are still firm, about 15 minutes. Do not over-boil, or they will be messy to grate. Drain and let cool.
- Grate sweet potatoes into a bowl using a box grater. Carefully mix in Cajun seasoning. Form mixture into tot-shaped cylinders.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place tots in the basket in a single row without touching each other or the sides of the basket. Spray tots with olive oil spray and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Heat air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and cook tots for 8 minutes. Turn, spray with more olive oil spray, and sprinkle with more sea salt. Cook for 8 minutes more.
I developed this recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars program. Rate, review, and photograph the recipe, and see nutritional information on the Allrecipes website here.