I’ve got a new, delicious keto recipe for the Instant Pot to share with you today: Instant Pot Keto Chicken Thighs in Lemon-Garlic Cream Sauce! If you love lemon and garlic, you’ll love this Instant Pot chicken recipe whether you’re on a keto diet or not. Pin this one to your ketogenic diet recipe boards, or save it for anytime you need a new low-carb dinner idea. Want more keto and low carb recipes? Click these links to see more of my low-carb recipes and keto recipes (including the popular Keto Blueberry Cream Cheese Crumble recipe). If you’re looking for more recipe ideas for your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, check out this post with my favorite, delicious, tried-and-true Instant Pot recipes, and click here to get all of my original Instant Pot recipes. I developed today’s recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars Tastemakers program. Rate, review, and photograph my recipe for Instant Pot® Keto Chicken Thighs in Lemon-Garlic Cream Sauce on Allrecipes here, and see the full recipe along with some of my cooking tips below. Jump to Recipe.
New to the Instant Pot? Then my new cookbook is for you! Pressure Cooker Cookbook for Beginners is your guide to everything you need to know about this culinary gadget―and how to make it work for you, along with step-by-step instructions for 75 different delectable recipes to help tackle meals during a busy week. Order Pressure Cooker Cookbook for Beginners on Amazon here.
The recipe starts by seasoning some chicken thighs with salt and pepper and browning them in the Instant Pot on Sauté mode for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. After browning, you remove chicken from the pot and set it aside.
While the Instant Pot (or other multi-function pressure cooker) is still on Sauté mode, add thinly sliced onion and sauté for one minute.
Add some minced garlic and cook for one more minute (you’ll notice things cook really quickly with the Instant Pot Sauté function).
Pour in some dry white wine and stir to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Then you’ll stir in chicken broth and lemon juice and bring it to a boil. It should cook until the broth has reduced slightly (two to three minutes), then you’ll turn off the Sauté function.
Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, and close and lock the lid. Select High pressure and set the timer for 10 minutes (allowing 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build before the clock starts counting down). After the timer goes off, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method. Unlock and remove the lid.
To finish the cream sauce, remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside. Select the Sauté mode again and bring the sauce to a boil. Whisk in butter or margarine, heavy cream, salt, and thyme, and cook until the sauce has thickened slightly (two to three minutes).
Optional step: If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk the heavy cream together with 1 tablespoon of corn starch in a small bowl before adding the cream to the pot. This will add to the net carbs of the meal, but will thicken the sauce. Leave the cream on its own if you prefer lower carbs with a lighter sauce.
Serve the chicken drizzled with the sauce (or drenched with the sauce if you’re a sauce lover like me).
It’s great served with roasted asparagus on the side.
Here’s the easy keto chicken thighs recipe! Enjoy!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn starch optional
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Heat vegetable oil.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides; add to Instant Pot(R). Cook one side at a time until both sides of the chicken are a golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Pour in white wine and stir to scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in chicken broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil and cook until broth has reduced slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the Sauté function.
- Return chicken Instant Pot(R). Close and lock the lid. Select High pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 10 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Optional step: Whisk heavy cream and corn starch together in a small bowl if you prefer a thicker sauce (this will add to the net carbs of the meal, but will thicken the sauce). Leave the cream on its own if you prefer lower carbs with a lighter sauce.
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside. Select the Sauté mode and bring sauce to a boil.
- Whisk in heavy cream, butter or margarine, salt, and thyme. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve chicken drizzled with the sauce.
Abigail f graham says
Wow!!! Made this tonight and probably went a little heavy on the chicken broth and wine since I was using about 2.5 lbs of chicken thighs. I also used xanthan gum to thicken the sauce when it was finished. Served it over sauteed zucchini ribbons. I already have this pinned and sent to my mom! Thanks!!! It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
Ramona Cruz-Peters says
I am so glad you loved it! It’s a family favorite for us, too.
You don’t have to sacrifice the thickness of the sauce to be low carb even omitting the carbish-corn starch: simply use a tiny amount of xanthan gum 😉 And I personally left out wine and didn’t consider margarine: ghee if you can’t tolerate butter is perfect, and doesn’t contain lactose nor carbs at all… double win! Ver tasty and easy recipe for a quick yet satisfying dinner that the whole family will appreciate, thank you!
Ramona Cruz-Peters says
Thank you so much for your feedback, and tips for the ingredients!