Moving into our first home opened up all sorts of indoor and outdoor decorating possibilities! We got working on the interior spaces right away (I will highlight some of our DIY home décor makeovers in future blog posts), but for a while, we were at a loss on what to do with our big, beautiful, blank slate of a backyard. I did know that I wanted an herb garden, but since we didn’t have the master plan for our yard yet, I had to find a solution that was not permanently in the ground. I came across this great idea for a trellis hanging herb garden from Making Lemonade on their blog post here. Not only is this a great idea for someone like us, but since it’s not in the ground it is also a great solution for gardening in an apartment! A hanging herb garden like this would work beautifully on an apartment balcony
Here’s how our DIY hanging herb garden turned out (and keep reading for a list of supplies and tips for putting one together yourself):
How to make a hanging herb garden for your apartment balcony or patio
What you need:
- Trellis. I found a simple wooden trellis at my local Home Depot, and we painted it with leftover exterior paint from our home trim.
- Plant pots. The best and most cost-effective option we found were the Ikea Socker Plant Pots with included hanging pot holder – a steal at $7.99!
- Plant label tags. These tags from Ikea are great for labeling your herbs.
- Garden soil. I get mine at Home Depot.
- Herbs. Choose your favorites!
Tips for making the hanging herb garden:
- I punched some holes in the bottom of the Ikea plant pots with a hammer and nail for drainage, then (a trick my dad taught me) inserted a small square of window screen to prevent too much soil falling out the bottom holes.
- Ikea sells plant tags you can label yourself. I’ve seen them in black, but if they only have blue or pink left, you can always spray paint them like I did. I used a metallic silver Sharpie to write the names of the herbs.
Easy project, looks awesome in the yard, and is a stylish non-permanent solution for an herb garden.
More Easy DIY Outdoor Décor Ideas:
- French country-inspired budget patio makeover
- Resurfacing a Concrete Patio for a Budget DIY Patio Makeover
- How to Make a Hanging Potted Herb Garden
- DIY Cinder Block Raised Garden Bed
- DIY Cinder Block Bench
- DIY Cinder Block Plant Bench
- Throw a Fabulous French Country Style Outdoor Party
- Three Ways to Style Your Yard with a Hammock
- Front Yard Garden Makeover
- DIY Front Door Makeover
- Curb Appeal