I started by making the classic OREO Cookie Balls recipe. To add the custom decoration, I used red and green candy melts. I love how easy those things are, and they set so quickly.
I used licorice rope candy arranged around the “bulbs” on the serving platter to resemble strings for the lights. I found it helpful to curl the strands around my finger first so it had more of a curled shape to it.
OREO Cookie Balls Christmas Lights recipe
- 1 pkg. (8oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
- 36 Red Velvet OREO Cookies, finely crushed about 3 cups
- 4 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- Red and green candy melts
- Cake decorating icing (any color)
- Gold foil wrapped candy
- Licorice rope candy (optional)
- MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls (though I made them closer to 2-inch balls for my variation). Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
- REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.
- Melt red and green candy melts in separate bowls according to package directions, then dip each OREO cookie ball into one of the colors until completely coated. Place back on wax paper and refrigerate until the coating is set (about 10 minutes).
- Add a dab of cake decorating icing to a piece of the gold foil wrapped candy, then stick it onto a ball so it resembles a colorful Christmas light bulb. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Optional for the display: Curl pieces of licorice rope candy around the “bulbs” on the platter so it looks like strings for the lights.