I’ve been incorporating more plant-based meals in our lives for sustainability reasons (see more of my vegan recipes here). I’ve been amazed to find so many delicious, high-quality meatless substitutes lately. It inspired me to see if I could make a vegan variation of a beloved Texan breakfast favorite: the breakfast taco. I found just the right products and I’m very proud to say that the breakfast tacos weren’t just decent, they were so good that even my meat-loving, native Texan husband ate the rest of the taco-seasoned plant-based ground meat since he enjoyed it so much!
The meat we used was Lightlife’s Plant-Based Ground. We were already a fan of Lightlife’s meatless hot dogs (see this post), so I decided to give their new ground product a try. I cooked it up with some homemade taco seasoning.
The egg product I used was Just Egg, which I discovered at a SXSW event this year and love. It has the same taste and texture of scrambled eggs, but in egg-free and dairy-free form! For the shredded cheese, I used a shredded Cheddar substitute from Sprouts. The dairy-free sour cream substitute was Tofutti brand, which was really good. For the tortillas, I used 6″ dairy-free wheat corn tortillas. The fresh ingredients like pico de gallo salsa and cilantro are easy choices for vegan meals, and I also added one of my favorite vegan-friendly hot sauces from Austin-based Yellowbird (sooo good!).
Seriously, grab yourself some Yellowbird hot sauce if you see it in stores. My favorite is the Serrano, but they’re all delicious!
Here’s my easy vegan breakfast tacos recipe!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 12 oz. pack plant-based ground meat substitute (such as Lightlife)
- 12 oz. dairy-free egg substitute (such as Just Egg)
- 8 dairy-free white corn tortillas
- 1 cup dairy-free Cheddar-style cheese substitute
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream substitute (such as Tofutti)
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo salsa
- cilantro to taste
- vegan-friendly hot sauce (such as Yellowbird) to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- Mix cumin, salt, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and oregano together in a small bowl. Set half of this taco seasoning aside for the recipe, and save the other half for future use.
- In a medium or large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the plant-based meat substitute, stirring occasionally until browned. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the water and taco seasoning you set aside. Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally until bubbly and well blended (3-5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook the dairy-free egg substitute according to package directions and scramble.
- Portion some of the plant-based meat on a tortilla and top with egg, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Add cilantro and hot sauce (if desired).
Leave a Reply