Wow, it is just incredible how fast a year goes by. One year ago I was home with a newborn, and now my “baby” is a one-year old toddler! We celebrated my little one’s big “1” with a safari-themed 1st birthday party since Grayson enjoys the Evenflo Triple Fun Jungle Exersaucer so much. The party turned out well, so I wanted to share some of the safari-themed party decorations and inspiration here for you in case you ever want to throw a safari 1st birthday party.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. This does not cost you anything additional, and helps me to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
Safari-Themed 1st Birthday STationery
I am fortunate to have a very talented friend who creates and sells custom stationery. Just like with Grayson’s birth announcements, I wanted something unique and customized based on the party’s inspiration, so I contacted The Cheshire Kat Designs to create a cohesive stationery theme for the event. Here is what we came up with.
Safari Door Signage:
Safari Food Signage:
Safari Favor Bag Labels:
safari-Themed 1st birthday Décor
For me, the easiest way to do a safari-themed party and save on décor was to do the party outside in a spot with trees and greenery. Luckily I live in Los Angeles, and was fortunate to have a nice, 80 degree, rain-free day in December to work with. The courtyard of our building was nicely surrounded with shrubbery and palm trees, which made for the perfect safari setting.
For table centerpieces, I used a combination of mylar palm tree centerpieces found on eBay, as well as bunches of bananas.
Safari themed birthday party balloons from Amazon
Safari 1st birthday party Tablecloths, Plates, Cups, Napkins, and Utensils
I was able to purchase a lot of my basic safari-themed party décor from the eBay store Sweet Creations Parties. The seller had a huge stock of party basics in a wide variety of themes and colors. They also shipped quickly, were mindful of our party dates, and gave me a nice combined shipping discount. Unfortunately, the store is no longer available, but I will provide the most comparable items I can find on Amazon. I went with lime green table covers, chocolate brown napkins and cups, and lime green plastic cutlery.
The plates I actually got from a different retailer, because I was set on finding a classier (non-cheesy) animal-print plate. This is what I found:
Unfortunately, I can no longer find these exact plates either, but here are some round leopard print plates from Amazon. If you find safari-themed party plates that are more similar to the ones in the picture, let me know in the comments!
Safari Leaf Serving Dishes:
Inflatable Safari Animals:
Safari-Themed 1st birthday Party Favors
Since this was the first children’s party I have ever planned, I had fun choosing the favors. There are SO many choices on things to get for jungle-themed party favors and supplies, and at very competitive prices. Here is what made up each bag:
Animal Print Gift Bags:
Safari Animal Lollipops:
Safari-Themed Stationery Set:
Safari Animal Plush:
Safari-Themed party Food and Beverage ideas
For little snacks and an additional favor, I had a tower of animal cracker boxes on display.
I used lemon-lime Hawaiian Punch, but you can also use Green Gatorade, which I put in a drink dispenser like this one from Amazon.
Sandwiches (or “safari subs”):
I got four 3-foot sandwiches from Subway, as they are budget friendly, can feed a lot of people, and hey, people like Subway. I named them “Safari Subs” to keep with the theme.
Safari-Themed Starters and Sides:
I hit up good ol’ Costco for these. For an appetizer, I went with taquitos, and named them “Bamboo Shoots.” The side dishes were a pasta salad and a Mexican Caesar Salad that I nicknamed “Amazon Salad.” I served them in the palm leaf serving platters pictured above.
Safari Animal Cupcakes:
I decided to take on the task of actually making and decorating my own safari-themed animal cupcakes to save money on getting custom-designed cupcakes. While this did save money, it was pretty time-consuming making and decorating these in bulk. I got the design instructions from Betty Crocker, where they even have a helpful video tutorial for them. Then, I trayed them up with some fake grass purchased from a craft store (you can get trays like these and fake grass from Amazon).
other safari 1st birthday ideas
Safari Animal Tracks:
I thought it would be a fun touch to have different jungle animal tracks leading from the elevator to the party entrance. I cut these out of construction paper.
The party activity (besides food, eating cupcakes and opening gifts) was a piñata. I was fortunate to be able to find a GIANT piñata in downtown LA at the Alameda/8th area for only $15.00. That’s right, this massive zebra only cost $15.00! They had other large piñatas too, but we decided on a zebra for our safari-themed 1st birthday.
Animal Print Wrapping Paper:
As an added details, we decided to wrap our gifts to Grayson in animal print paper. I was able to purchase some in a few different patterns from eBay store Sweet Creations Parties, which is unfortunately no longer active. They looked great as a starter to our gift table (which also had a lime green cover). I did find some animal-print wrapping paper on Amazon, as well as a lime green table cover if you still want to recreate these looks.
Safari birthday Playlist:
A safari-themed 1st birthday party needs a safari-themed playlist! Here is the one I put together, downloading all the mp3’s from Amazon (that sure takes me back). However, these days, there are plenty of places that you can stream these songs from.
- Tarzan Boy (Baltimora)
- Trashin’ The Camp (Phil Collins, from the album Tarzan)
- Run Through The Jungle (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
- Jungle Party (Funky Monkeys)
- Deep in the Jungle (Joe Scruggs)
- Rockin’ In The Jungle (The Eternals)
- Jungle King (Hot Lips Page)
- Jungle Boogie (Kool & The Gang)
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh) (The Tokens)
- Bungle In The Jungle (Jethro Tull)
- Monkey Man (The Rolling Stones)
- Jungle Love (Steve Miller)
- Concrete Jungle (Bob Marley)
- Wild Thing (The Troggs)
- Born To Be Wild (Steppenwolf)
- Theme From The Monkees (The Monkees)
- The Bare Necessities (Bruce Reitherman, from the album The Jungle Book)
- I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) (Phil Harris, from the album The Jungle Book)
- Circle Of Life (Lebo M., from the album The Lion King)
- I Just Can’t Wait To Be King (Jason Weaver, from the album The Lion King)
- Hakuna Matata (Ernie Sabella, from the album The Lion King)
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight (Elton John, from the album The Lion King)
- George of the Jungle (The TV Theme Players)
- Welcome To The Jungle (Guns N’ Roses)
- Colonel Hathi’s March (The Elephant Song) (Disney Studio Chorus, from the album The Jungle Book)
More kid’s birthday party themes:
- Anime-Themed Birthday Party
- Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania At-Home Watch Party
- Bendy and the Ink Machine-Themed Birthday Party
- Classic Nintendo Birthday Party (Mario Bros., Zelda, Kirby and More)
- Clifford the Big Red Dog Birthday Party
- Construction-Themed Birthday Party
- Despicable Me / Minion Birthday Party
- Dinosaur-Themed Birthday Party
- Disney Cars Birthday Party
- DIY Escape Room Kid’s Birthday Party (with lots of escape room puzzle ideas)
- Dungeons and Dragons Birthday Party
- Emoji-Themed Birthday Party
- Kid’s Ice Cream Social Birthday Party
- Safari Themed 1st Birthday Party
- LEGO Movie-Themed Birthday Party
- Minecraft-Themed Birthday Party
- PAW Patrol Party Ideas
- Pokémon-Themed Birthday Party
- Power Rangers-Themed Birthday Party
- Rock and Roll Birthday Party
- Silent Disco Party (Fun 13th Birthday Party Theme)
- The Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender Party
- Thomas the Train Birthday Party (with Free Thomas and Friends Birthday Printables)
- Tiger-Themed Birthday Party Planning Ideas