We decided to go with a dinosaur theme for Sawyer’s 2nd birthday (click here for all the planning photos and details from his dinosaur-themed birthday party). To keep the party budget-friendly, I decided to DIY some crayon party favors using silicone molds. After having learned how easy – and with amazing results – using silicone molds can be with these DIY candy cupcake toppers I made for my husband’s birthday last year, I figured they’d be great for making crayons, too. When party planning, I always try to find a balance on what I am willing to pay for (for the convenience) vs. what I can make myself (to save money or to be able to fully customize it for my needs). Making these silicone mold crayons was a pretty easy project, so it was worth the effort to make these inexpensive party favors to save some money. It was fun, and I’d do it again! Today I’m sharing the steps for how to make DIY crayon party favors.
How to make DIY crayon party favors
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive commission if you make a purchase using the link.
Probably the most time consuming part is the first step: unwrapping the crayons. I then broke a few into a microwave-safe bowl, and microwaved (at regular temperature) in 30-60 second increments, stirring in between, until the crayons were fully melted.
I spooned the melted crayon wax into the molds, one shape at a time, then moved on to the next color. No worry about dripping outside the molds, or even onto the counter, as the wax comes off really easily once it cools and hardens.
The key to keeping the bowl and spoon clean between colors was to wipe them out (I just used a paper towel) while the wax was still hot, and it would come right off.
After I had filled the mold, I put the tray in the freezer for 15 minutes so that the wax could fully harden. When done, they pop right out of the molds easily, and are ready to go!
I ended up with sets that included 4 shapes in 4 different colors (so cute!)
I sealed each set up in a plastic treat bag (which can also be purchased in bulk from Amazon) tied with a ribbon.
There you go! Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy.
More kid’s birthday party ideas:
- Bendy and the Ink Machine-themed birthday party
- Camping-Themed Party Ideas
- Classic Nintendo-Themed Birthday Party
- Construction-Themed Birthday Party
- Despicable Me Minion Birthday Party
- Dinosaur-Themed Birthday Party
- Disney Cars Themed Birthday Party
- Emoji-Themed Kid’s Birthday Party
- Halloween-Themed Birthday Party
- How to Train Your Dragon party ideas
- Jungle-Themed Birthday Party
- Lego Movie-Themed Birthday Party
- Minecraft-Themed Birthday Party
- Pokémon-Themed Birthday Party
- Power Rangers-Themed Birthday Party
- Rock n Roll Themed Birthday Party
- Thomas and Friends Themed Birthday Party
- Tiger-Themed Birthday Party