Our family always just referred to this as “clam dip,” but I decided to call it “Garlic Lovers Clam Dip” as garlic is such a key component, and a prominent flavor in the dip. As the recipe name implies, this is a fantastic recipe if you love garlic. That being said, if you don’t like garlic, this recipe is probably not for you.
The completed dip can be served immediately, or chilled to serve later (which will bring out more of the garlic flavor after it sits). It is important to save the extra liquid from the canned clams if you plan to chill and serve the dip later, as it will thicken in the fridge. Stirring in some of the reserved clam juice before serving will bring it back to a nice thickness for dipping. It is best with some Classic Lay’s or Ruffles chips, but may be good with some Triscuits or other salty crackers too.
Garlic Lover’s Clam Dip
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmann’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 6 oz. can chopped clams, juice reserved
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (depending on the size of the cloves)
- Garlic salt (to taste)
- Drain clam juice into a measuring cup or small container, and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, and enough of the clam juice for the dip to reach your desired consistency (it shouldn’t be too thick that it will break your chips). Reserve the rest of the clam juice.
- Mix in chopped clams and fresh garlic.
- Mix in garlic salt (to taste).
- The dip can be served immediately, or chilled in the refrigerator to serve later. As the dip will thicken in the fridge, stir in some of the reserved clam juice before serving to bring it back to a nice thickness for dipping.
- Serve with Classic Lay’s or Ruffles potato chips.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe if you’re a garlic lover! You can also save the recipe to your collection on Allrecipes here.