I’m sharing a delicious sweet pastry bite that’s full of fall flavor, making them perfect snacks for fall and winter entertaining: Fall Spiced Mini Apple-Cream Cheese Turnovers. Using shortcuts like prepared puff pastry dough and canned apple pie filling makes the prep for these fall appetizers a breeze. I created the apple and cream cheese turnovers recipe for a live event I hosted on Pinterest (on how to throw a friends’ cocktail party; catch the replay here), and it has become one of my most popular Idea Pins! See the apple cream cheese puff pastry Idea Pin here, and scroll down to get the detailed recipe.
More easy party appetizer bites recipes like these puff pastry desserts with cream cheese
- Quick and Easy Party Appetizers with Four Ingredients or Less
- Crock Pot Party Meatballs
- Pear, Bacon, Queso Bites
- Brown Sugar BBQ Mini Sausages
- Tater Tot Mini Cheeseburger Bites
- Instant Pot Feta, Spinach, and Artichoke Dip
- Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Scallops with Sriracha Mayo
- Bacon-Wrapped Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
- Vegan Jalapeno Poppers
- Salmon Croquettes
- Chili Cheese Dog Bites
- Fried Tomatillo Bites with Chipotle Remoulade
- Jalapeno Bruschetta
- Bacon and Shrimp Rangoons
- Cranberry-Brie Bites
Apple cream cheese puff pastry shortcuts
I am all about shortcuts, and this recipe uses two: prepared puff pastry dough and canned apple pie filling. While you’re more than welcome to use your own homemade apple pie filling for this recipe, I do have a few tips for upgrading canned apple pie filling to make it taste more like homemade (for this recipe or any other): Add pumpkin pie spice and some brown sugar!
If you’re looking for puff pastry desserts with cream cheese or a fall-inspired appetizer bite, these apple cream cheese puff pastry bites are perfect for you! Here’s the Fall Spiced Mini Apple-Cream Cheese Turnovers recipe. Enjoy!
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 21-ounce can apple pie filling
- 1/2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the cream cheese with powdered sugar with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the apple pie filling, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each sheet to a 12-inch square with a rolling pin. Cut each sheet into 16 3-inch squares (32 small squares total).
- Smear some of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of each square. Using a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon, add a heaping scoop of the apple pie filling on top of the cream cheese. Put 1/4 of water into a small bowl. Dip your fingertips in the bowl of water and swipe some water around the edges of the pastry squares, then fold in half so that they form a triangle around the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and the remaining 1 tablespoon water together. Brush over pastries, then place them onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake 13 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool the pastries on a wire rack.
You can use your own homemade apple pie filling if you prefer.