I developed today’s recipe as part of the Allrecipes Allstars Tastemakers program. Rate, review, and photograph my recipe for Keto Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemon Aioli on Allrecipes here, and see the full recipe along with some of my cooking tips below.
After it’s mixed, just refrigerate the aioli until ready to serve.
The size of your asparagus bundles will depend on the thickness of your asparagus stalks. I recommend bundles of three to five stalks depending on thickness. In this example, I had pretty thin stalks, so I made bundles of five stalks each.
Some bacon-wrapped asparagus recipes might suggest using a toothpick to secure the bacon while cooking. My recipe does not, because I wrap the bacon so that it overlaps (securing the starting point), then tuck the tip of the end under the wrapping. If you wrap tightly, this tucking method works perfectly, and the bacon will not come undone while grilling.
I am a fan of using olive oil spray instead of brushing with oil, because it is more even, you don’t need as much oil, and there’s less mess to clean. After spraying the bundles, I add the final seasoning.
Tip: Grilling the asparagus on aluminum foil will prevent flare-ups from the bacon grease drips.
We grill these for about 10 minutes on one side, flip, then grill for another 10 minutes (or until the bacon is done to our liking).
Serve these up with the lemon aioli dipping sauce, and you’ve got a yummy keto-friendly appetizer or side dish.
Keto Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemon Aioli recipe
Recipe created by Ramona Cruz-Peters for Allrecipes.
Rate, review, and photograph the recipe, and see nutritional information on the Allrecipes website here.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 10 slices bacon
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- Combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic salt in a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate lemon aioli until ready to use.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Divide asparagus stalks into groups of 3 to 5 stalks, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Wrap each asparagus bundle tightly with 1 piece of bacon, overlapping slightly as you wrap and tucking the ends under the bacon so it holds securely.
- Place asparagus bundles in a single layer on a piece of aluminum foil. Spray bundles lightly with olive oil spray and top the bacon with cracked pepper.
- Grill asparagus bundles on the foil for 10 minutes. Flip each bundle and grill until bacon is cooked through and crisp, an additional 10 minutes. Serve with lemon aioli.