Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. It has gotten even more fun since having children, as (at least at this age) they are all about it! We have had fun the last few years doing themed costumes as a family (pirates two years ago and Avengers characters last year). This year, the kids are all about Despicable Me. The little ones voted that our family would be characters from Despicable Me 2 for Halloween this year, and I’m sharing how we made a DIY Despicable Me costume for each member of our family. The kids will be minions (naturally), my husband will be in a Gru costume, and I will have an Anti-Villain League agent Lucy Wilde costume.
These costumes were pretty easy to DIY, so DIY I did! Here are the components for each of our DIY Despicable Me costumes. Don’t forget to share and pin, and comment if you have any questions!
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. This does not cost you anything additional, and helps me to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
DIY Despicable Me costume: Minion
How to make a DIY Despicable Me 2 Minion Costume:
- Goggles (got these ones from Amazon)
- Yellow hoodies (got mine from Kohls, but any yellow hoodie will do, like this one from Amazon) with pipe cleaners on top for hair
- Black gloves (can get these just about anywhere, but I got these ones from Amazon)
- Black shoes or boots (I found them at our local Wal-Mart)
- Blue denim overalls (the ones we got are sold out, but here is a similar pair for toddlers)
- Gru symbol, printed on iron-on photo sheets and ironed on. You can easily fine the Gru symbol on Google images.
Look how cute the boys (oops, I mean minions) look for their costume trial run:
Lucy Wilde Despicable Me costume
How to make a Despicable Me Lucy Wilde costume:
- Red wig with bangs (this one on Amazon is perfect for a Lucy Wilde costume)
- Pink and white polka dot scarf (I got this one from Amazon, but it looks to be sold out now, so here is an alternative)
- Turquoise sunglasses (I got this pair from Amazon)
- Turquoise trench coat (the one I got is no longer available, but this one could be an option, or this cardigan)
Here is how the costume came together (without the wig):
Gru costume DIY
DIY Despicable Me 2 Gru costume:
- Bald cap (purchased from our local Halloween costume pop-up store)
- Black and gray striped scarf (got this one from Amazon)
- Black shirt. A black zip-up shirt is ideal, but any black shirt will do for a simple Gru costume DIY.
- Optional: pointy nose (also from your local Halloween store)
Here’s how the whole family’s looks came together (the little one decided not to wear his goggles for the picture – kids, what can you do):
Love Despicable Me? Check out these Minion and Despicable Me party and crafts resources:
More family Halloween costume ideas:
- Easy and fun family Halloween costume ideas
- DIY Loki Variant Halloween Costumes (Family Loki Cosplay)
- DIY Mandalorian Halloween costumes
- Hamilton costume ideas for the whole family
- DIY Stranger Things 3 Family Halloween Costume
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Family Halloween Costumes
- Family Harry Potter Halloween Costumes
- Like and Subscribe! DIY YouTuber Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- Super Easy DIY Lego Movie Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family