Presenting our Halloween costume for this year: Lord of the Rings family costumes inspired by The Rings of Power! The #FabFam gets REALLY into Halloween, but our favorite part each year is deciding on and creating our DIY family Halloween costumes. We’ve had some really fun ones over the years (check out our DIY Loki Variant Halloween Costumes, our DIY Stranger Things 3 Family Halloween Costumes, our DIY Mandalorian Halloween Costumes, and our Star Wars: The Force Awakens Family Halloween Costumes for just a few of our favorite examples), so it’s always a big decision and one we discuss at our family dinnertime for months. We’ve been big fans of The Lord of the Rings for years, but have never done LOTR Halloween costumes. As soon as we saw the first episode of the new The Rings of Power series, our minds were made up, and we had to do Lord of the Rings costumes this year inspired by some of our favorite characters from the show. Like our costumes every year, these are homemade Lord of the Rings costumes, and I’m sharing all the details for how to make them in today’s post. I’m sharing my DIY Galadriel costume, my husband’s Elrond costume (a LOTR elf costume DIY), and my kids’ costumes for Durin IV (a DIY dwarf costume) and The Stranger LOTR costume. If you’re thinking of doing a family Lord of the Rings costume this year, too, you’ll want to save this post! All of the Lord of the Rings costumes DIY projects were super easy to do, even for beginner crafters and cosplayers!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. This does not cost you anything additional, and helps me to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
DIY Galadriel Costume
I have wanted to do a LOTR elven costume for years, and just never had the chance. I’ve always loved the character of Galadriel, so when I saw how amazingly awesome the young Galadriel is in The Rings of Power series, I knew within the first episode that a DIY Galadriel costume was in my future! I am so happy with how this Galadriel Halloween costume came together. All of the DIYs were easy thanks to some key Amazon finds, and of course, a gorgeous but reasonably-priced Galadriel wig. Check out the links to all my young Galadriel costume components below, along with instructions for the simple DIYs.
What you need to make this Galadriel Halloween costume (LOTR elven costume):
- Gold leaf crown. The one I ordered was perfect, as the leaves are attached by wires and could be slid towards the end of the headband, leaving more of a gap in front (which is more accurate to the costume from the show). The leaves can also be (carefully) bent to create the shape you want. I also added 6 artificial pearls (from this set with gold wires) to the front part of each side by wrapping the wires between the leaves, and a strand of freshwater pearls hanging from the ear area of the left side, which I attached with a glue gun (see a close-up below).
- Elf ears
- Champagne or light gold dress (I found this spa gown to be the perfect and also reasonably priced). I added a belt of gold leaf ribbon (the same ribbon I used to trim the cloak).
- Green velvet cloak. The one I bought was perfect because it had different length options. I chose XXL so it could spread on the ground behind me like a train. Using a glue gun, I added a trim of gold leaf ribbon starting at approximately finger-length around the side and bottom of the cloak. Since the leaves on the ribbon looked a lot smaller than the leaves on Galadriel’s costume in the show, I intertwined two pieces of the ribbon all the way around the edge to give it some more impact. To wear the cloak, I tucked the hood underneath and tied the neck strings under my arms and behind my back.
DIY young Elrond costume
The character of Elrond has been a favorite of ours since Hugo Weaving brought Lord Elrond to life in the original trilogy. We love the character just as much with Robert Aramayo portraying the younger version in The Rings of Power, which is why my husband chose a DIY Elrond costume for himself for our LOTR Halloween costumes this year. This LOTR elf costume DIY was another easy project, and comfortable to wear. If you’re looking for a young Elrond Halloween costume or even just inspiration for a LOTR elven costume, this is a great choice.
What you need to make this LOTR elf costume DIY:
- Linen shirt and pants
- Lots of light khaki, light beige (or greige), or linen-colored fabric to drape around and fasten on the front of the right shoulder. I think I purchased 5 yards of fabric.
- Cloak pin and four-point star brooch. I just clipped these both on to make it reminiscent of Elrond’s cloak pin, but if you want a more accurate pin for The Rings of Power Elrond cosplay, check out this option on Etsy.
- Elf ears
- Beige or light camel boots or shoes
Durin IV (Prince Durin) DIY dwarf costume
Another lovable character in The Rings of Power is dwarf prince Durin IV. When planning what Sawyer should be for our family Lord of the Rings costume, we thought he would make an adorable dwarf (and we were right!). A LOTR dwarf costume is a great choice for kids in your Lord of the Rings family costumes since kids are shorter compared to the adults’ elves. Sawyer was particularly happy with his DIY dwarf costume because he got to carry an axe! There were more steps in making this DIY LOTR costume, but it was all really easy to do, and the final result is awesome. Here are the details.
What you need to make this LOTR dwarf costume:
- Beard and wig set. This cave man wig and beard set was PERFECT, but the beard wasn’t long enough. I added hair extensions from this clip-in set and braided it into the cave man beard to make it longer and fuller.
- Brown tunic. I used this velvet one (which was nice and long on Sawyer). We pushed up the sleeves (I didn’t bother cutting and hemming them) and added gold fringe trim to the bottom hem and the sleeves with a glue gun.
- Chest plate. I used the chest plate from this knight costume set, with the dragon emblem removed (it was screwed on and came off easily after removing the screws), then spray painted with a metallic vintage brass spray paint.
- Two brown leather gauntlet wristbands
- Brown boots
- Axe. The one we got isn’t accurate for Durin (in the show his axe looks more like a pickaxe), but Sawyer was really excited about this one, and can use it as a toy afterwards. And one of the ways to really feel your character is to have fun with your accessories, so this axe worked great for us!
The Stranger DIY costume (The Rings of Power)
The last costume in our DIY The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power family costumes is the mysterious character currently being called “The Stranger.” Grayson chose this character almost instantly because of his power, mystery, and the fact that Grayson’s hair is pretty much the same length and fullness as the character on the show. This was also the easiest of our Lord of the Rings costumes DIY projects, but it came out just as cool as all of our other Lord of the Rings costumes, in my opinion.
What you need to make this LOTR costume DIY:
- Distressed boho throw blanket to wrap around your body
- Brown pants
- Mustache and beard
- Optional: wig (we didn’t need one, as Grayson’s hair was the perfect length)
- Brown eyeshadow (or other costume makeup) to add dirty smudges to the face and hands
I hope you found some inspiration in our DIY The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power family costumes! Good luck making your own Lord of the Rings costumes, and feel free to tag me @fabeveryday in the pictures of your costumes!
More family costume ideas like these Lord of the Rings costumes
- Easy and fun family Halloween costume ideas
- DIY Loki Variant Halloween Costumes (Family Loki Cosplay)
- DIY Mandalorian Halloween Costumes
- Hamilton costume ideas for the whole family
- DIY Stranger Things 3 family Halloween costumes
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Family Halloween Costumes
- Family Harry Potter Halloween Costumes
- Like and Subscribe! DIY YouTuber Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- Super Easy DIY Lego Movie Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- DIY Despicable Me 2 Halloween Costumes