It’s the most wonderful time of the year… Halloween, of course! What’s not to love about Halloween? Pumpkin spice everything, people make it rain candy, and you get to become anything you want to be – while having a legitimate excuse to wear wigs, absurd makeup, and any other silly thing that you fancy.
The Fab Fam loves to dress up, and we tend to do a family costume. I’m down for it until the boys are “too cool” to dress up with mom and dad… and maybe even after that too. Some highlights over the last few years were our Avengers costumes, our Despicable Me 2 Halloween costumes, and our LEGO Movie Halloween costumes from last year. We often have a DIY component in order to personalize the costumes more, and this year was no exception. This year, we decided to be characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I am Rey, the hubs is Poe Dameron, G is C-3PO (with the red arm), and S is Kylo Ren. Well, more specifically, S wanted to be Kylo Ren mixed with BB-8 (these little ones don’t seem to have a concept of dark side vs. light side), so we are doing BB-8 pajamas under the costume as a compromise. While I love me some DIY, ain’t nobody got time to create a brand new droid/dark side hybrid costume.
Here are details for our family’s costumes this year. Don’t forget to pin if this inspires your family costumes or cosplay!
DIY Star Wars: The Force Awakens Rey Adult Costume
This is an easier DIY, mostly just piecing things together.
- Fabric for draping (purchased from Joann, see this pin for a closer look at the draping)
- Arm wraps are self-adhesive medical wrap (purchased from CVS)
- Beige Henley tank top (from Amazon)
- Grey banded knee pant (from Amazon)
- Steampunk double-strap belt messenger bag (from Amazon)
- Flat grey or beige low boots – similar to these (from JustFab). If you’re not a member of JustFab yet, click here to join and get access to all their products at the VIP discount!
- Hair pulled back into three buns (see this pin for inspiration)
DIY Star Wars: The Force Awakens Poe Dameron Adult Costume
We went with an easy version of Poe’s flight suit for this costume, inspired by this pin of a dressed-down Oscar Isaac.
- Cream or beige Henley (from Amazon)
- Orange coverall jumpsuit (from Amazon)
- Climbing harness (from Amazon)
- Rebel Alliance patch (from Amazon)
- Boots (already had)
- Smudges on the face and jumpsuit for a just-got-done-flying-a-fighter-jet effect
DIY Star Wars: The Force Awakens Red-Arm C-3PO Kids Costume
This costume required the most DIY, but it wasn’t very time-consuming. I got some of the inspiration from the DIY C-3PO costume on the MayTheFourthBeWithYou blog. Note the red arm like C-3PO has in The Force Awakens!
- Metallic gold women’s long-sleeve crop top (from Amazon). I couldn’t find a kid’s size metallic gold top, but this one in a small worked well for my six (almost seven) year old.
- Metallic gold kid’s leggings (from Amazon)
- Metallic gold gloves (from Amazon) – I spray painted the left one red
- Riding boots (from Amazon) – spray painted metallic gold. I love how these turned out!
- I cut some pieces off of this Ninja SWAT costume (from Amazon) and spray painted them gold for the chest and shoulder plates. I attached them with this metallic gold duct tape (also from Amazon).
- The circle on the chest plate is a plastic sour cream lid spray painted gold
- Arm bands were cut from .5 L soda bottles, and spray painted gold or red. The leg bands are 1 L soda bottles spray painted gold.
- Basic gold C-3PO mask (from Amazon), spray painted metallic gold to match the other accessories
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Kylo Ren Kids Costume
This one is not a DIY. We came across a good quality Kylo Ren costume at the Disney Store, and in the spirit of balancing cost and stress factors with the DIY alternative, this was the route I went with. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: seeking fabulousness in your everyday life is all about finding balance!
- Kylo Ren costume (from Disney Store) – though we used our own Kylo Ren mask that S already had since he likes the way it fits better
- Extendable Kylo Ren lightsaber (from Amazon) – was not included with the costume
- Black combat-style boots (from Amazon)