If you’ve known us for any amount of time, then you know the #FabFam gets really into our Halloween costumes. Most years we do a family Halloween costume, and it is the topic of dinnertime conversation for months. We usually choose something we are currently obsessed with, and love to find ways to make our costumes unique with cost-effective DIYs (see last year’s DIY Mandalorian Halloween costumes and our Stranger Things family costume from a few years ago as examples). This year we decided on Loki variant costumes! We love all things Marvel (see our kids’ Avengers-themed bedroom décor), and fell in love with this summer’s Loki series on Disney+. Almost as soon as the season wrapped, we started sourcing and making our different DIY Loki costume ideas. I know it might feel early (I mean, it’s just now September), but we were so excited about our family Loki cosplay that we couldn’t wait! I’m sharing all the details for our family’s different Loki variant cosplay: a Loki TVA costume, a DIY Sylvie costume, a President Loki costume, a Classic Loki costume (I probably had the most fun with that one), and an Alligator Loki costume for our dogs.
If you’re looking for more family Halloween costume ideas, see them all here, or in the list at the end of this article. If you’re considering doing a Loki variant costume for Halloween this year, you’ll want to save these DIY Loki costume ideas and instructions!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. This does not cost you anything additional, and helps me to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
Loki TVA costume
A group Loki variant costume wouldn’t be complete without a Loki TVA costume! In the series, we find our hero apprehended then recruited by the Time Variance Authority (or TVA). The Loki TVA cosplay is one of the easiest we made, since it mostly consists of plain clothes. Here’s how we put together Sawyer’s Loki TVA outfit.
What you need to put together this TVA Loki variant outfit:
- White button-up shirt
- Skinny black tie (the skinniest you can find – Loki likes it slim!)
- Black pants
- Brown military jacket
- Time Variance Authority patch ironed onto the jacket
- A pair of toy daggers (we used the little swords in this set and spray painted the handles black – see below)
Since any costume is more fun with accessories, we got some toy daggers for our Loki TVA costume. The ones we bought had bronze handles, so we covered the plastic blades with painter’s tape and spray painted the handles black. After removing the tape, our Loki TVA outfit was complete!
Loki Sylvie costume DIY
As soon as I saw her, I knew I wanted to do a Sylvie Loki costume! Also referred to in the comic books as a Lady Loki costume, this Sylvie cosplay includes the blonde hair from the character in the Marvel Studios show. My Sylvie Halloween costume is the most DIY Loki costume of our family’s set. Since the show is so new, there aren’t many cost-effective Loki Sylvie costume options for sale, so DIY was a necessity, but I found ways to keep it cheap and easy. I’ve got instructions for the DIY Sylvie costume pieces below.
What you need for this DIY Sylvie costume:
- Short blonde wig (I especially love the one I got from Amazon since it has darker roots, making it a more accurate Sylvie cosplay)
- Sylvie crown/headpiece (I got this one from Etsy and spray painted it. See the details on the DIY Sylvie costume crown below)
- Slim-fit black turtleneck
- Black faux leather tank top in a size larger than the turtleneck (since it will be worn over the turtleneck). The tank top I got from SHEIN is sold out, but this one is a great alternative for your Sylvie costume, or you could work with this fitted men’s tank top from Amazon. I also found this one and this one at Macy’s that look like they’d also work.
- Black pants or leggings
- Black and green hooded cape
- Black fingerless gloves
- Black boots
The crown for the Sylvie costume came in a yellow/gold 3D printed color from Etsy. The shape was perfect, so we just needed to do some painting and faux patina to bring my Sylvie cosplay to life.
This Sylvie Loki costume DIY was really easy. First, I removed the elastic Velcro strap, then I spray painted the entire headpiece with metallic gold spray paint. Using my fingers (while wearing gloves), I rubbed some oil-rubbed bronze color spray paint into the edges and in various spots.
To soften the look of the oil-rubbed bronze faux patina, I added another very light coat of the metallic gold spray paint (sprayed from a distance) over the crown. The effect was perfect! It looks very naturally distressed.
One of the most important DIY Sylvie costume components was to recreate her top and chest plate. I took the easy way out and painted a cheap faux leather tank top to match the pattern on the chest plate. Here are the steps.
First, I found a front-facing image of Sylvie from the interwebs. Then, I sketched out how I would go about creating the pattern on the tank top.
For simplicity, I used acrylic paints for this next step (since I have a lot of them at home). I started by painting the groove pattern of the chest plate with green paint (since green is a key color for Lokis).
To soften the lines and blend them into the top, I sprayed a light layer of black spray paint over the entire front of the top (you can use regular spray paint or fabric spray paint; either seem to work just fine over faux leather for costume purposes). The essence of the green still poked through, but the lines were a lot more subtle, like in Sylvie’s costume.
Next, I added the gold details with metallic gold paint, and dusted a very thin layer of black spray paint over it (sprayed from a distance) to give the gold a more natural patina look.
Here’s how the completed DIY Sylvie costume top came out! I layered it over a black turtleneck and added the other pieces and accessories to complete my Sylvie Halloween costume.
President Loki costume
Though only in the show for a brief time, President Loki stands out as one of the most fun options for Loki variant cosplay. Our President Loki costume was rather easy to piece together, and one of the coolest. Also, I freakin’ love how much Grayson got into character when wearing the Loki president outfit!
What you need to create President Loki cosplay:
- President Loki crown/headpiece
- Dark green or black 3-piece suit (jacket, pants, and vest). You can mix a black suit with a green vest, or go all green or all black. Grayson loved the green suit, so that’s what we went with for our President Loki costume.
- White button-up shirt
- Green tie
- Gold tie clip
- Loki for President button
For an inside joke referencing the show, include an alligator dog costume with your President Loki cosplay.
Grayson found that a red and black sock was a great Loki for President costume accessory.
DIY Classic Loki costume
Out of all our Loki variant costumes, my husband’s Classic Loki costume is probably my favorite. Partly because I loved seeing a more classic, comic book-esque version of the character in the show, partly because it’s completely DIY (since you can’t really find a full Classic Loki costume like this in stores), partly because it’s way different than all our other costumes… but mostly because it required my husband to wear a bright green spandex bodysuit.
What you need to make a Classic Loki costume (Loki variant costume):
- Green spandex bodysuit
- Yellow open-face zentai hood mask
- Short yellow shorts (this was a more comfortable option for my husband than yellow spandex briefs)
- Yellow gauntlet gloves
- Yellow boot tops
- Yellow cape
- Gold ballcap (with the bill cut off)
- Horns from this Loki helmet (they’re removable), trimmed and attached to stick out of the front of the hat when glued. See below for more details.
Classic Loki’s helmet from the show looks a lot different than the other Loki variant headpieces. To try and recreate it for our DIY Classic Loki costume, I cut the bill off of a metallic gold ballcap, then attached horns from another Loki helmet to the front. Classic Loki’s horns stick out forward from the front of the helmet, so I trimmed them a bit so the angle would allow them to stick more straight out when hot glued to the front of the hat. It worked out pretty well for this Loki variant costume!
Alligator Loki costume for pets
Another standout variant character from the series is Alligator Loki. We planned to have one of our dogs wear the Alligator Loki costume, so modified an alligator/crocodile pet costume to make this one.
What you need to make an Alligator Loki dog costume:
- Alligator dog costume
- Loki helmet or horns to add to the top of the costume (you can use the removable horns from this Loki helmet, or use a smaller Loki crown like this one with an elastic strap)
Unfortunately, our pugs do NOT sit still for photos easily, especially when wearing a costume they want no part in wearing. I’ll share a funny video on my social channels, but in the meantime, just try to imagine what this Alligator Loki costume would look like on your (more compliant) pups.
We are SO happy with how each Loki variant costume came together, and love each DIY Loki costume. Would your family do Loki cosplay for Halloween?
More family Halloween costume ideas
- Easy and fun family Halloween costume ideas
- Family Spider-Verse Costumes for Halloween
- DIY The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power Family Costumes
- DIY Mandalorian Halloween Costumes
- Hamilton costume ideas for the whole family
- DIY Stranger Things 3 family Halloween costumes
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Family Halloween Costumes
- Family Harry Potter Halloween Costumes
- Like and Subscribe! DIY YouTuber Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- Super Easy DIY Lego Movie Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- DIY Despicable Me 2 Halloween Costumes